The Monasteries Project
THE MONASTERIES PROJECT
Corpus of French Regular Establishments in the Middle Ages
The Monasteries project is at the origin with the "Collegial" project (Anne Massoni, Limoges) of the COL & MON research program (Colleges and Monasteries of the Carolingian reform at the Council of Trent 816-1563), funded by the ANR for 48 months (2016-2020)
The architecture of the MONASTERES database was developed by a team of historians and archaeologists made up of: Anne Autissier, Sébastien Bully, Noëlle Deflou-Leca, Michèle Gaillard, Véronique Gazeau, Nelly Pousthomis and Cécile Treffort. It is directed by Rémi Crouzevialle (Criham). The partners of the project are Jean Monnet University and Limoges University.
This program aims to constitute and analyze the corpus of monasteries and collegiate churches in the French area between 816 and 1563. Its objective is to understand the driving forces behind the establishment and evolution of this network of establishments, which are the essential links in ecclesiastical geography between cathedrals and parish churches.
The architecture of the Monasteries database was established by a team of historians and archaeologists in close collaboration with the engineer in charge of producing the IT tool. It includes seven categories of information: "identity and location", "chronology and status", "regular life and observance", "archeology and architecture", "iconography", "bibliography" and "sources" (handwritten and edited ).
This synthesis of current knowledge on French monasteries offered by a relational database should ultimately allow the cross-referencing of information: Generate graphs (filiations, chronological evolutions, etc.), -open on a diversified cartographic exploitation (chronological criteria, ecclesiastical geography, monastic family) through a Geographic Information System (GIS) adapted to historical and archaeological data and a Webmapping platform configured for the Project and to provide an image manager (archive plans, archaeological surveys, photographs, etc.).
Department of History